OPEN CALL – Queer Artist Residency
12 – 22 August
Application deadline: 23 April 2021
CLICK HERE FOR: APPLICATION LINK & CONSENT FORM
CPH Queer Theater Festival, of which HIT is co-organiser, presents “HOT MEAT,” a new-play development and artist residency program, with a focus on the LGBTQ+ community. During this 10-day residency you will work together with other artists from around the world to create 1 of 4 new pop-up plays, that will premiere during Copenhagen 2021 – WorldPride and EuroGames.
Are you a professional theatre-maker who identifies as queer, and would you like to immerse yourself in, explore and challenge the fundamentals of queer performance, then “HOT MEAT” is an artist residency for you.
We are looking for 4 playwrights, 4 directors, 12 actors and 4 designers (light, sound, set and/or costumes) from all over the world.
HOT MEAT Residency
As an artist in residency, you will have the opportunity to collaborate with other artists from around the world. You will be able to share your own experiences of being a queer artist from your local community, but also engage with other queer artists to challenge and develop the framework of queer theatre.
In the period 12th – 22nd August we offer the artists in residence:
Workshops with renowned leaders in the LGBTQ+ performing arts scene from around the world. This is an exciting opportunity.
A variety of networking and industry events, where you can meet the professional Scandinavian Theatre Scene. A great way to mingle with the community.
Hotel stay from August 12th-22nd 2021
Meals will be provided.
And you will be in Copenhagen during Copenhagen 2021 – WorldPride and EuroGames, where there will be lots of official events to participate in.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
We are looking for professional queer performing artists who are interested in developing performing arts for and about the queer community. If you can answer yes to 3 out of 5 questions below, you are what we are looking for.
- Do you have a professionally recognized education as a performing artist?
- Do you have experience participating in professionally paid theater productions?
- Have you attended theater seminars, workshops and courses?
- Have you already created professionally recognized performing arts and performances in collaboration with others?
- Do you have a clear artistic vision and desire to tell the world about your reality?
We expect that:
You are involved and are available throughout the period 12 August – 22 August 2021.
You are comfortable working in English, as the working language of the festival is English.
You can cover costs in connection with transport to and from Copenhagen.
If you are unable to cover your own travel costs, you can apply separately for a subsidy to cover some or all of the costs related to your travel and visa application expenses.
We are also happy to help you apply for funding to cover travel expenses CLICK HERE
The selection process will focus on gathering participants who come from diverse backgrounds, and where sexual orientation, religious affiliation, and country of origin are richly represented, with approx. 50% from Scandinavia and 50% from the rest of the world. At the same time, it is important to choose the most talented performing artists that best suit this program. The selection will be made by Det Kolde Bord (The Cold Table) with their many years of experience in putting together artists for such projects.
In your application, we would like you to address the following:
- What is your story and what is it like for you to be a queer artist in your local community.
- What experience do you have as a queer artist in creating performing arts?
- What do you dream the perfect future to be for queer performance.
- What are your special areas of interest in queer performing arts?
- What would you like to achieve through this artistic residency?