Open Call: LIVE WORKS V10, Italy
Created in 2013 by Centrale Fies, in collaboration with Viafarini, LIVE WORKS – Free School of Performance is a platform dedicated to live contemporary practices that contribute to deepening and broadening the idea of performance, following the current evolution of performance and its styles.
6 artists will be selected and each artist will have:
- an annual fellowship of € 3,000.00
- Kick Off Seminar in the dates 1-3 July 2022, during Live Works Summit 2022*
- a 15 day individual residency at Centrale Fies
- a residency (optional) in an international partner structure
- a collective residency together with all the selected artists, at Centrale Fies, in the summer 2023 in the frame of Live Works Summit 2023
LIVE WORKS – Free School of Performance
The open call LIVE WORKS includes creative residency periods for the selected projects. LIVE WORKS sees performance as a work space, and as an instrument and cultural exercise. Starting from the notion of performance in the visual art practice, the project is unique in its particular attention to hybrid research, underlining the openness and fluidity of performance, its social and political implications and its level of public understandability.
The announcement is open to a wide range of performative actions, also including sound and new media arts, text-based performances, lecture performances, multimedia storytelling, choreographic practices, relational and workshop-based projects, and other projects questioning the idea of performativity beyond the body.
Artists and professionals from any geographic location and with no limits on age can enter the announcement, as individuals or in groups, with a single project. The open call only accepts unpublished or long-term projects that need to be developed and/or concluded, for which participation would represent an evolution of the project or it’s final chapter.
The production of the performance projects during the residency will be supported by diverse types of curatorship, from theoretical to technical development, a Free School of Performance with studio visit, critical session and reading group. During the residency phase, Centrale Fies will provide a production and curatorial staff to assist the artists as they develop the selected projects.
For the two residencies at Centrale Fies, Centrale Fies covers the travel costs to reach Centrale Fies, food and accommodation for the two residency periods.
The budget of € 3.000,00 will be guaranteed even if the programme changes the form for sanitary emergency reasons.
The performances produced will be presented at Centrale Fies in summer 2023, during the second edition of Live Works Summit 2023. On this occasion the projects will be discussed by a board of international professionals, working for festivals, institutions, residencies and production programs that sustain and produce research in performance.
During each evening a program of established guest artists will be presented alongside the projects of the 6 Live Works artists.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- Artists who intend to participate must fill in the online participation form here: https://liveworks.wufoo.com/forms/k1o1o2zn1k9jadw/
- Attach their portfolio, including a personal statement (a brief description of the objectives, issues and methodologies you address in your practice) and curriculum vitae. Required format: .pdf. Accepted languages: english, italian. The documentary material must be contained in a single compressed folder, no bigger than 10mb.
- Attach a description of the performance project to be developed during the residency period. The description should include an abstract (max three A4 pages, including photos, images) in .pdf format. Accepted languages: english, italian. The documentary material must be contained in a single compressed folder, no bigger than 10mb.
- Attach links to any audiovisual material. Accepted formats: .avi, .mov, mpeg, mp4, mp3. Accepted languages: all. The material must be contained in an external server (vimeo, YouTube, other) with the link and any necessary password provided.
- Other possible members of the group (co-authors or performers) have to be included within the on-line application form “Names and surnames of other members”, specifying the role of everyone within the submitted project.
- Pay a € 10,00 registration fee, which partially covers the administrative costs, via on-line form https://liveworks.wufoo.com/forms/k1o1o2zn1k9jadw/ , or bank transfer.
Registration for participation must be sent by midnight on the 30th March 2022 . Candidates who submit after this deadline will not be accepted.
For foreign candidates Centrale Fies will commit to provide a letter of invitation for any application for a grant or mobility fellowship. The participants not belonging to an European state, for which it is requested a Working Visa to participate in an artistic residency in Italy, should promptly proceed with the Visa application. Centrale Fies, once the selected projects will be announced, will send the information to understand the procedure and support the request.
After the deadline the applications will be evaluated and discussed by the curatorial team. At the end of April 2022 the selected projects will be announced by the Centrale Fies communication medias.
9th February 2022 | open call
30th March 2022 | application deadline
end of April 2022 | participants announcement
July 1-3 2022 | Kick off seminar
to be defined | 15 day individual residency at Centrale Fies
to be defined | collective residency at Centrale Fies and presentation of the performances during Live Works Summit 2023
*Three days of Free School with seminars, theoretical moments and conviviality for the selected artists, who will be able to attend the presentations open to the public of the performances of the Live Works 2021 alumni (Ivan Cheng, Sergi Casero Nieto, Selin Davasse, Gabriele Rendina Cattani, Joannie Baumgärtner, Clementine Edwards & Ada M. Patterson, Silvia Rosi)
During the 3-day event there will be a curated program of guest artists that will take part in the live program.
Barbara Boninsegna (artistic director and founder of Centrale Fies)
Simone Frangi (researcher, writer and curator LIVE WORKS – Free School of Performance)
Info & contacts
Centrale Fies, Località Fies 1
Dro (TN), Italy
Apply online: https://liveworks.wufoo.com/forms/k1o1o2zn1k9jadw/
Deadline 30th March 2022
Fee to Apply: 10 Euros